Monday, October 6, 2014

Heroes

Last week while I was walking to my class I was listening to my Ipod. A song raised some feelings I wanted to share. The song was Heroes by Peter Gabriel. This is from the Lone Survivor soundtrack. It always almost makes me weep. As I type this I listen to it and my vision blurs. First I want to express as much gratitude I can muster towards those who have sacrificed their lives for me, but not only the fallen their families also. Second I want to thank those who have gone and come back. I know many carry scars both seen and unseen.

My thoughts from that day last week was at first upset. I looked at the other students who had no clue what I was listening to or feeling and their seeming disregard for what others have done. They are carrying on with their lives oblivious. I gnawed at these thought  for awhile. Then a thought struck me. The thought was that if you ask a "hero" why they are a hero my guess would be that they would say something to the effect that they aren't.
Do Heros want to call attention to themselves? I guess some do but the ones I know don't. Humility seems to be a common theme.

My next thoughts were mixed I felt one sad for losses and then lucky. I once again looked around at the people around. These people who are attending a university of higher education were thanking the fallen, in a roundabout way. We are free to seek whatever makes us happy. I feel that the best way to thank someone for freedom is to use it. I may not always agree with how that is done but I can appreciate that there is that opportunity.

I will strive to live in such a way that reflects how much I love my country. I want to make no mistake in that I recognize the sacrifices other make for me. There are evils in this world and I am eternally grateful for anyone who is willing to combat that evil. I ask that we take a more moments to reflect on what we have and how we have it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment